Monday, May 10, 2010

Final Reflections

I started out thinking this blogging idea was stupid and lame but I have to say over the semester my views changed. If we had decided to just turn in short essays about random topics I probily would not have done half of them. Writing on the internet is easy for me and considering I don't really care what people think about me the privacy part is not an issue for me at all. I belong to a forum where I give advice and yes it's on steroids who would have guessed. That made the blogging alot easier since I regularly check the forum and read comments and add my two cents to the question being resented. The array of topics for our blogs was fun. They weren't always lame and un-interesting which made the whole process much more enjoyable.

The class overall was fun and I learned a good amount. I thought it was laid back but we still had work to do. Some of our time in class was pretty worthless but nevertheless it brightened the day and still got the assignment for next class. I do feel that you as a teacher were too laid back at times to the point of sometimes appearing as if you didn't care and in turn more then half the class didn't care. Although, not your intention I still learned much and improved on my own writing. I believe reasons people didn't come prepared on work shop days or blog days is because they felt you wouldn't care too much so it wouldn't be a big deal. I enjoyed the teaching style though. I never felt stressed with the course and we still did a good amount of writing.

As a class I have no idea what we learned together. I personally didn't give a shit what we learned together. I didn't like most the people in the class anyways so that probily contributed to it. It mattered to me what I learned and how I did in the course. All in all I thought you did well and your style of teaching worked for me. Even when I gave you a hard time not always my intention but you didn't yell at me you told me straight up right on the spot which I thought was cool.

Thompson Out.

1 comment:

  1. What a straight shooter you are! You're probably right about being too laid back. It's something I plan to work on next time around. I need to figure out a way to make workshopping useful and not stupid. Remember the enneagram assignment? You are such an 8!

    You really gave me a hard time there a few times. I'll tell you the truth, I found it really disconcerting. I have never had a student be so overtly insubordinate as you were. I thought about it for awhile, how best to deal with it. I was a little intimidated by you at first. (I mean, you could crush me with your bare hands. I know you wouldn't, but still, the fear persisted.) And then I remembered: you're just a kid. I'm from Detroit. I've had a gun in my face before. I don't need to be afraid of you. So I tried to combat your brattiness with a combination of love, toughness, and indifference. My instincts told me you weren't a bad kid, just a little combative. I think I was right.

    You still got a C in participation because I don't like being bullied, but I'm glad you came around and were nice at the end. I learned a lot from you, Chris. Overall it's been a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete